Mark Gabbertas, Designer, Gabbertas Studio Mark is a leading British product designer. His philosophy is to create character through simplicity. ‘This approach helps guide the design of products to have a lasting aesthetic,’ he says. ‘The design of an object is influenced by an appreciation of the commercial realities that surround it.’ Mark has worked with the likes of Allermuir, Boss, Chorus, Gloster and Nomique.
I can’t see a thing without them and have numerous pairs of essentially the same glasses from Cutler and Gross, which I allocate to most rooms in the house and the studio because I leave and lose them with tedious frequency. In an attempt not to have to buy more, I am thinking of investing in a gold chain, a la Larry Grayson…. which would be fine, of course, on my own, on an island, with no one else to pass judgment.
A JENSEN INTERCEPTOR
Hand built in West Bromwich and designed in Italy by Carrozzeria Touring. I am lucky enough to own a rather tired one. I could sleep in it at night and see the stars through that great big rear window.
I am a basket addict and collect them wherever I go. This one came from Vietnam and is used normally for taking chickens to market…they cut a hole in the side of the basket for the poor thing’s head to poke out. It would come in handy for all that foraging.
CRIME AND PUNISHMENT
If I don’t read it now, there is no hope.
I make loads of jam – and the best is cherry and raspberry. I have become rather fond of a soft set, and sticky fingers will be the order of the day.
CIGARETTES AND INSTANT COFFEE
A morning would be unimaginable without an over-milked coffee and a low tar.
A shameless plug, but the Oran sofa is a cracker for putting your feet up after a hard day doing nothing.
TRACKS FOR THE DESERT ISLAND JUKEBOX:
1. Motel 77 – Clash EP. This is on repeat in the studio at the moment. And no one would be able to see me dancing badly to it.
2. Nina Simone – Who Knows Where The Time Goes. Obviously.
3. David Bowie with Pet Shop Boys – Hallo Spaceboy. Pet Shop Boys extended Mix. Something to chop wood to perhaps.
4. Midlake – Am I Going Insane. Just in case I am, which I will.
5. Tindersticks – City Sickness. To remind me of what I have left behind.
6. The Weather Girls – It’s Raining Men. The rather famous and unattainable Daisy Jenks put mine and my husband Hector’s wedding footage to this. It’s a giggle.