The business’ origins were rooted in London as far back as 1929. Founded by Marshal Davison, they moved out of London during WWII and later, under the new leadership of Barry Davison, found their current home in Piddington. So, in 1979 – the year that Margret Thatcher came to the throne – Davison Highley as a brand were born.
For the older readers, the first major piece was in 1981, with the Classic sofa and armchair range bringing together the brand’s upholstery and frame expertise. For many years, Davison Highley were synonymous with individually customer-focused pieces of furniture, making over 70% bespoke pieces, with the remainder being from the standard range. During this period, Toby Davison, son of Barry, was the Production Director. When Toby took over the leadership in 2014 he realised that, to maintain their reputation for craft, they had to ensure their model was commercially fit for the next 40 years, creating a business based on design, price point and sustainability.
Davison Highley spent their time listening to the market, particularly the loyal A&D following, adjusting the range to make it relevant and desirable. They were also perfectly in time to take advantage of the changing nature of the commercial world. Gone were the £1,000 desks and in were beautiful booths and sumptuous fabrics that you would recognise more from the world of hospitality than the workplace.