Explore the latest projects from the UK’s commercial interiors industry, featuring the best of workspace, hospitality, living and public sectors.

Pipeline projects: five greenlit schemes to watch

Looking ahead to future concepts across the commercial sector, we spotlight five upcoming architecture and design projects.

12/07/2024 4 min read

Interviews, opinions and profiles from industry experts

Specialist Group: practicing local and global sustainability

With Group Managing Director Ciaran O'Hagan, we discuss how manufacturers can (and should) make a positive impact at both a local and global scale.

11/07/2024 2 min read

Discover the latest and most innovative products curated by Mix Interiors.

Companies

View all companies

Discover the latest news and company profiles from the companies shaping the UK commercial interiors industry.

Company Profiles

View the latest company profiles from the commercial interiors industry

View all

Actiu uses post-consumer recycled plastic for its latest chair design, Fluit

The 100% recycled chair is Actiu’s first collaboration with Archirivolto Design, gathering inspiration from a 16th century Dutch sailing ship.

22/02/2022

2 min read

Actiu

City of London

Fluit marks the first collaboration between Actiu and Italian studio Archirivolto Design: a circular and sustainable chair which uses completely recycled polypropylene plastic and fiberglass. Slim and robust, Fluit can adapt to different corporate and hospitality environments.

80% of the material used in the production of the eco version of Fluit is certified post-consumer recycled plastic from the agri-food sector, with recycled fiberglass accounting for the remaining 20% of the material. To create this chair Actiu uses gas injection – an innovative industrial process that reinforces its resistance and provides a delicate finish that is soft to the touch.

“Fluit is inspired by a 16th century Dutch sailing ship named Fluyt. Its dimensions were those of the warships of the time, making this ship a robust sailboat that was larger than merchant ships,” says Archirivolto Design. “Fluit is born from the Mediterranean Sea that is part of our Italian, Spanish, and European culture. It is conceived as a multifunctional piece, capable of blending into all environments: hospitality, work, and training. It is a linear chair, with a fluid architecture that, thanks to technology, makes it lightweight, aesthetic, and stable.”

This chair offers a multifunctional seating solution, available with or without arms as a response to different needs, allowing a padded cushion to be incorporated to provide greater comfort and a pop of colour. Polypropylene is enriched with fiberglass to strengthen the resistance of the chair, that can be stacked with up to six units and used indoors or also outdoors in covered areas thanks to its aesthetics and UV protection.

“We must give waste a second chance,” says Actiu’s Soledat Berbegal. “Actiu’s Second Act philosophy is the result of a process that we began years ago, and will be further strengthened in 2022. Fluit is the result of all this. A sustainable chair with meticulously created shapes for multifunctional environments that represents an innovation from a technical and a design point of view.”

Fluit represents another step in Actiu’s sustainability strategy – the company was the first Spanish manufacturer to sell plywood boards with 0% formaldehyde melamine coatings as standard.

Related Articles

Inspiration for your next read

Back to top